Moderator Flash Hiders - CAR-15 / XM177E1 / XM177E2 / Colt Commando (1963-1974)
Brand : Retro Rifles
We offer 5 different versions of the CAR-15 "Moderator" muzzle device. The first three choices are authentic to the originals, and the last one is a hybrid smaller size version.
First three versions also have hand welding on the back side just like the originals.
- Gen 1 - 3.5 inch, no slots.. used on the Survival Rifle and first model CAR-15 shorty (colt model 607)
- Gen 2 Light Weight - 4.3 inch, hollowed out inside to reduce weight (6 oz.)
- Gen 2 Standard - 4.3 inch, real size & weight (10 oz.) of original.. the most authentic Gen 2 Moderator reproduction available today
- Hybrid - 3.5 in length, basically a reduced size/weight moderator that can be used a variety of ways (4 oz)
- Gen 2 - 4.3" - Ultra light Weight- Aluminum
*All exception the Aluminum moderator are steel and made in the USA.
* All versions ship with a Crush Washer for alignment timing.
1. In the early 1960's Colt started testing a small 10" submachine gun version of the CAR-15 family. They first tried the flash hider (FH) they had - the "Duck Bill" 3 prong, and then later the second generation of this 3 Prong when available. Neither were satisfactory in taming the blast/sound to their liking.
2. The first lengthened muzzle device tried was the 3.5" long Moderator and had no flash slots.
3. About 1966 the final version, 4.3 inch, was being issued on XM177's; and then in early 1967 this model continued to be used on the XM177E2 (now also with the Grenade Ring). Colt stopped making Moderators in the Mid-1970's due to ATF ruling it a Sound "Suppressor".
4. Though not historically correct, we also offer a special 3.5 inch with Flash Slots. This is the smallest/lightest Moderator style muzzle device available. Good for applications where you would like the style, but want less size & weight up front.
11.5 inch barrel versions (XM177E2 / GAU-5) use a Grenade Ring in conjunction with the Moderator (Here)
For the washer (Here). Recommend using a lock washer.
Coating is excellent and fits like a glove. Great modern take on old-school cool.
Just a touch pricy, but if you want quality parts, money can’t stand in the way. These are faithful reproductions of originals. Well made and just as described.
super !! great !! awesome !! fantastic !! RETRO RIFLES ROCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was tough getting ahold of you but the part did come late for my customer but will be used on my next build the quality was good and fit the rifle great..