Colt 602 / 604 - second model AR-15 (1963-1964)
Brand : Retro Rifles
After initial testing of the Model 601, the US Army asked for a number of changes - resulting in the Colt model 602 (1963-1964). This is also the version officially adopted by the Air Force as the Colt model 604 M16 (1963-1966).
- Changes made on the 602/604:
- 1:12 twist rate (from 1:14)
- Charging Handle changed to the standard version still used today
- Flash hider improved to the stronger "3 Prong" (with which we are all familiar)
This is a highly authentic reproduction of the Colt 602 / 604 with Charging Handle. Available with or without Chrome BCG with machined retaining pin.
- Genuine Colt AR-15 Fiberglass Handguards (not polymer)
- "Slick Side" Mil-Spec Upper, "C" "A" forge code (not NoDak)
- Chrome "Slick Side" BCG, with appropriate "machined" Retaining Pin (not Cotter Pin)
- Original 1:12 twist (1:7 optional), Chrome Lined
- Made in USA
* Notes on Options
- Chrome M16A1 - has serrations on the side (to work with the Forward Assist). Though originally shipped with a "slick side" BCG, starting around 1964/65 the Army switched to Chrome M16 carriers with serrations - and therefore so did the Air Force even though their guns didn't have Forward Assists (to simplify spare parts logistics). So it was not uncommon to see 602's in the war having BCG's with serrations.. and more than likely on Air Force models. The only reason we even bother to offer two different Chrome BCG's is because of the noticeable cost difference between the two.
- 1:12 is the only twist rate used on all Colt models from 1963-1983. The choice if you want the closest possible to the real thing and will only shoot 55gr bullets.
- 1:7 can shoot anything you can buy, including 77gr heavies (mk262), 75gr TAP and Tracers (1983 - current). Finish is Nitride, which is significantly more rugged/durable than the original Phosphate finish.
The first few Colt 602's still had the gen 1 "duck bill" 3 prong.. but this was soon replaced by the gen 2 "3 Prong".. and most 602 models were either delivered with the 3 Prong, or were converted thereafter.
- 3 Prong Army 1963-1964, Air Force 1963-1967
- A1 Birdcage is for Air Force 604 after 1967 (only)
"Slick Side" AR-15 Receiver, 7075, Mil Spec Type III anodized, "C" "A" forge code (not NoDak), will match black color lower
- Choice of Twist Rate: 1/7 or 1/12
- 1:7 -20" "Pencil" profile barrel, Chromed Lined, Phosphate finished
- 1:12 -20" "Pencil" profile barrel, Chrome Lined, Phosphate finished
- Genuine Colt M16A1 Triangular Fiberglass Handguards (used, good condition)
- Appropriate Chrome Slick Side M16 Bolt Carrier Group with stainless steel machined Retaining Pin
- Front Sight Base (FSB) Tapper Pinned, non-F
- Flat Style Straight Slip Ring (not Delta), Original Colt
- Round Front Sight Post
- Rear Sight Assembly, Original Colt
- 3 Prong Flash Hider
- Charging Handle, 7075 Made in USA
- Sling Swivel
CURRENTLY ON BACK ORDER - No Estimated Time frame for in stock.